Renovation of Martello Tower Sutton
In 2006/2007 the important Stage 1 works were conducted. Following approval from Fingal County Council, Henry Thompson of Old Builders was retained to re-render the entire exterior of the building using the traditional lime rendering approach.
The foremost expert in the country with this traditional craft Thompson, over a period of several months, painstakingly removed the existing, mostly sand and cement rendering (applied in the 20th century) to replace it with the breathable lime membrane. The rendering membrane was applied in up to 5 coats - square foot by square foot in the most exposed and dangerous of working conditions.
For those interested in this type of work please see Henry's website at http://www.oldbuilders.com/
This work in 2008 entailed the following:
1. Replacement of existing rotting wooden structure with a new sleek zinc coated roof structure.
2. Instalment of a ground level 360° balcony around the Tower.
3. Reinstatement of steps down to shore. These are of a galvanised steel structure and quite minimalist in appearance.
4. Custom built kitchen units, 360° perimeter walnut shelving and furniture.Note:
Based on an old painting a previous wooden structure balcony existed. We think it was "washed away" in the 1970's. If any reader of this has any pictures of how the Tower looked in previous times we'd be delighted to hear and upload photographs onto this website. Contact UsObjective of this restoration project
We have aimed to restore the Tower in a manner which :
- Is authentic to the nature of the Building as a National Monument. We did not propose any structural alterations to the stonework of the original building and most importantly we did not propose any extension of the Tower itself. Too many Towers have been compromised by "enhancement" in the past. Our proposals were discussed at every stage with Fingal County Council for their advice, assistance and guidance.
- Achieve an end result that will be deemed quite simply as the finest restoration of any Martello Tower ever in Ireland.
- Present to the short stay tourist market an alternative 5 star self catering accomodation option in the Dublin region, We want a property that will generate a little bit of excitement as a great place to stay!